Willys Military M38A1 1952-1966
M38A1 1952-1966 - F-Head Engine - 2 PC. Windshield - No Tailgate - Originally 24 Volt Ignition System - Serial No. Located at Right Side of Wheel House
F-134 "Hurricane" 4 Cylinder Engine | Spark plug gap: 0.030 in. (0.762 mm) | Spark plug torque: 25-33 lbs. ft. (34-44 Nm) | iring order: 1-3-4-2 | Distributor rotation: Counterclockwise | Point gap: 0.020 in. | Dwell angle: 42 degrees | Ignition timing: 5 degrees BTDC | Bore and stroke :3 1/8 in. x 4 3/8 in. (79.37 mm x 111.12 mm) | SAE Horsepower: 15.63 | Weight: 470 lbs. with fluids | Max. Horsepower: 72 @ 4000 R.P.M. | Torque: 114 lbs. ft. (15.7 kg-m) @ 2000 R.P.M. | Compression pressure: 120-130 psi (8.4-9.2 kg-cm2) | Compression ratio: 6.9:1 (7.4:1 high altitude option).
In 1950, the first post-war jeep, the M38 (or MC), was launched, based on the 1949 CJ-3A.
1952 it was quickly followed by the M38A1 (or MD), featuring an all new "round-fendered"
body in order to clear the also new, taller, Willys Hurricane engine. This jeep would later be
developed into the CJ-5 launched in 1955. Similarly, its ambulance version, the M170 (or
MDA), featuring a 20-inch wheelbase stretch, was later turned into the civilian CJ-6.